Data Science

Data Science vs Computer Science Degree for Data Science Career

Hello and welcome to this 365 data science special where we’ll discuss which is the optimal choice for an aspiring data scientist a data science or a computer science degree before we begin we want to say that throughout this video we’ll be using the abbreviations DS and CS to indicate data science and computer science respectively additionally both DS and CS are fantastic choices for a concentration so please don’t feel discouraged if you’ve already chosen one over the other that being said we here at 365 have conducted research to determine which one is better for a successful career as a data scientist we’ll begin by weighing the pros and cons of earning either degree starting with DS then we’ll do some evaluation and head-to-head comparison before picking a winner okay the most obvious Pro of getting a data science degree is that it’s supposedly the shortest route to becoming a data scientist having the words data science next to education in your resume is a surefire way to get the express treatment when applying for jobs in the field thus the signalling.

Aspect of such a degree is extremely important of course the main reason is that potential employers believe you have a great interest in the job they don’t have to worry about programming skills analytical understanding of statistical results or your data storytelling abilities this is crucial because some great statisticians lack the coding pedigree while some programming wonder kids lack the knowledge to extract insights from a data set with the data science degree you’re sure to possess all the necessary qualities without needing outside validation like extra certification however currently there is one major con when it comes to a data science degree availability now that’s an issue we’ve been trying to tackle for several years now we’ve created the 365 data science program to help people develop their skills and enter the field of data science regardless of their background.

We have trained more than 350,000 people around the world and are committed to continuing doing so if you are interested to learn more you can find a link in the description that will also give you 20% off all plans if you’re looking to start learning from an all-around data science training since the field is relatively new a data science program can sometimes be hard to come by regardless of whether we’re talking undergraduate or graduate programs the scarcity has resulted in many students having to pick alternative concentrations and as a result losing interest in the field prior to graduating in one of the other youtube specials we mentioned that roughly 50% of all data scientists graduated from some of the 200 top-ranked universities according to Forbes still a very large portion of those do not offer neither.

Graduate nor undergraduate programs in the field add to that the fact that 20 points eight percent of all current data scientists possess a degree in the field and we come to the conclusion that University rank is a bigger signal than the discipline itself therefore you might be better off earning a different degree from an elite school than a data science one from a less prestigious institution just remember that the degree has to be quantitative as virtually all data scientists come from such a background however there’s a downside that as it seems you might have to acquire additional credentials before you can break into the field enter the self-created data science degree now in many places across the United States and less so in Europe and Asia it is possible to change.

Your concentration to an interdisciplinary major these are the so-called self-created majors which incorporate various courses across several departments since data science is a nice mix of analysis coding and data storytelling we can combine math or statistics with computer science and some social science like economics courses across these three departments should be enough to construct a great data science degree without having to learn what you won’t need what we mean is that by removing pure mathematics out of math the developing aspects of CS and the policy base aspects of economics what you’re left with are the top skills you need to succeed in the field but before you decide to try this out you need to know that you can’t just select random courses to construct such a major a much more.

A realistic approach is to find a decent university which offers such a program then provide enough evidence showing that some of the available courses in your institution are equivalent to those in their DS program that way your degree has the added credibility of the more renowned institution which is a fantastic bonus however even this option isn’t available everywhere so you might have to concede and go a different route if that’s the case you shouldn’t feel discouraged since a DS degree is a bed of roses one reason for this is how nice it is to go for a DS degree means you have to be absolutely certain that you wish to become a data scientist other related fields like statistics or computer science provide greater flexibility in terms of professional development with those you can alter your trajectory if data science ends up being different from what.

You imagined without having to be specialized and acquire new skills in comparison a computer scientist can easily transition into a data architect or a data engineer job with the skillset they already have we can say a change of heart is a non-issue for them so computer science is the preferred degree in that regard however let’s not get ahead of ourselves and compare the two before we’ve had the chance to examine the pros and cons of a CS degree for starters a computer science concentration is very reputable and widespread employers have a general understanding of what a CS degree consists of and what to expect from somebody holding one therefore recruiters look favorably upon graduates who majored in computer science the not so obvious bonus here comes in terms of landing internships the more popular and accepted the discipline the higher the chances that you’ll manage to intern while still at university.

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is processor-4347273_1920-1024x683.jpg

Since employers tend to value experience and skills over credentials having an internship can go a long way in making you a good candidate however the downside of this is the overabundance of CS degrees in the job market this means that competition in the field is vast and having a computer science concentration is less of a signal today than it was a few years ago computer science brings great flexibility when it comes to programming languages if you know one you know them all because their fundamentals work pretty much the same way hence by knowing Java or C++ transitioning to Python should be a walk in the park furthermore CS degrees also include some discrete math so a computer science major really hits a lot of the data science buttons however just like D s CS has its cons for one somebody who has his heart set on becoming a data scientist.

Will also have to learn some coding that aspect of computer science is unavoidable since every CS program makes sure to give its students the fundamentals less code-savvy students might find some coding tasks too difficult or completely outside the scope of their interests ever to finish the degree they’ll have to master that part of CS as well additionally many CS students develop a discrete way of thinking to elaborate algorithms often work on the basis that the result of one action always leads to another what’s important is not what action follows but that we always know what is next, however, that isn’t always the case in data science oftentimes one action means that we have said a 60% chance of event an occurring and a 40% chance of event B occurring thus not developing a probabilistic mindset is a challenge for CS graduates as.

They really want everything to be 100% certain all the time now that we’ve discussed the pros and cons of each degree let’s compare and contrast we see that CS is more widespread so the limited availability isn’t a concern second since it is more well known your chances of landing an internship are bigger and that will surely enable you to get some experience under your belts in addition virtually all elite institutions offer CS as a concentration and 50% of all data scientists come from schools ranked in the top 200, therefore, going for a CS degree in the high ranked College will greatly increase the probability of you becoming a data scientist even a computer scientist would be happy with these odds what about DS availability aside DS gives you all the right tools without forcing you to devote time and effort to acquire skills outside of your interests like software development for example that also means.

You don’t need to earn additional outside sources of credibility such as certificates or online courses however a des degree is very much tailored towards future data scientists so it’s nitch nough slim ‘it’s your possibilities of a future career change to summarize things we see that computer science is the current leader in the field in the demand of the job market data science is a growing degree but it takes time for the trend to shift going by the data from the last several years we can conclude the following it’s very likely that if at all the pattern eventually shifts and DS becomes the best option you’d already be working as a data scientist thankfully

Employers value experience and skills more than academic credentials so it shouldn’t affect your progress in the field so all things considered we can confidently say that despite its small drawbacks computer science is the better degree choice for a job as a data scientist right.

Leave a Comment